In January this year it was reported that the UK alone produces 26.5k tonnes of textile waste a year. That’s a shockingly high amount and we believe that buying with intention and creating a capsule wardrobe for ourselves is the most sustainable approach we can take to playing our part in helping to reduce that figure.
While we’ve never been ones for rules around the number of garments we should have in our wardrobe we wholeheartedly advocate buying less and buying mindfully. If you can focus your attention on seeking out good quality long-lasting pieces that are both wearable and workable you’ll have a wardrobe filled with items you’ll love and wear for years.
Not only is that good news for the planet but dressing for the life you actually lead could also help you discover your own personal style and ultimately eliminate those spur of the moment purchases that are destined for a life at the back of the wardrobe never to be worn or worse still, landfill.
So how do do you create a capsule wardrobe and what should be included? As a first step we advise taking a look inside your wardrobe and deciding what to keep, what to repair (longevity is key!) and what to either sell or donate. Then it’s time to build on what you have. Items to include will vary depending on lifestyle, however, these are our Woven winter capsule wardrobe must haves:
• Long Sleeve T-shirts - ideal for layering and something everything in the wardrobe fits around or over. Humanoid organic polo or CATC linen jersey basic long sleeve Tee
• Cashmere - no winter wardrobe should be without a luxuriously soft piece of knitwear. Our cashmere blend wide cardigan by LA brand Amente is a true go to layer and the beautiful neutral colour will work over pretty much anything.
• Black ankle boots - There’s nothing more versatile than a good pair of black ankle boots and we love these Tanta chunky Chelsea style ankle boots. A great shape as well as being sustainably crafted in a matte finish waterproof PVC, so they’re ideal for the British weather!
• Dress - Everyone needs a “wear anywhere” dress that makes you feel incredible Humanoid printed tie dress.
• Black trousers - Our choice would have to be the Best Behavior organic cotton canvas drop crotch trousers we have been wearing for around 10 years! These are one of the most flattering drop crotch pants we have found and they go with absolutely everything: truly season-less.
• Classic shirt - We love a crisp white shirt but for the winter months we’re most likely to reach for something black like this Project AJ soft cotton shirt with frill detail to take us from day to evening with minimal effort.
• Investment coat - We can’t wait to wrap ourselves up in this oversized cream faux sheepskin coat by heritage brand Lavenham.
• Scarf - Our oversized fringe scarf in a gorgeous alpaca and mohair blend adds a pop of colour to any outfit and is super cosy.
• Hat - As an alternative to the usual winter wool beanie we’ve fallen in love with this Edits felted wool style moulded hat with brim.
• Jacket - Our all time must have has to be a jacket. Nothing works harder for us, they’re the ultimate wardrobe all-rounder and this season’s lightweight printed reversible jacket doesn’t disappoint when it comes to flexibility.
• Sweatshirt - Such a great basic item in todays wardrobe and fully functional not only as loungewear, but with jeans, matching sweat bottoms or great to dress down a dress. Calm Amongst the Chaos has nailed this style.
• Sweat pants - Another great go to item for us which again has ,many styling options; with an oversized knit, long sleeved Tee and jacket or even dressed up with heels.
creating a winter capsule wardrobe.